If you’re looking for someone to show you how to make money with Amazon products, this featured blogger is the gal to learn from!
Meet Lesley Stevens. She blogs over at Best Gifts Top Toys about…you guessed it…toys! When you stop by her blog, you’ll see that her primary monetization there is AMAZON. She’s built her blog by providing high-value toy reviews, showcasing full-color images of her kids actually putting the toys to the test.
So I promise you that if you follow her advice and example, you can see results, too. Am I promising that you can copy exactly what she does and make money? Well…yes! But your story is your own, your journey is your own; you’ll still need to implement and course correct, fine-tuning your business in a way that’s as unique as you are.
That being said, I’m going to turn it over to Lesley. Enjoy!
Julie, reading through the questions, I’m not sure I’m really the ideal person for all this…?
I mean, I just happened to be here by the grace of God doing what I’m doing and I don’t even know how I got here other than that! It’s pretty overwhelming that an ADHD person like me with a past like mine is even making what I do! It really is the definition of grace – all of it. Probably not what others want to hear if they’re setting goals for business.
Here are my answers but please don’t feel like you even have to post this because I’m aware that I’m out of my league when it comes to most bloggers earning 6-figures.
**Editor’s note: Lesley, I think you are a perfect example of what you can accomplish! Thanks for sharing!**
1. What were your initial goals when you started and how have these goals changed over time?
I didn’t really have any real goals because I had no clue what I was doing. At the time I started all this my intention was to build online content and socialize with other human beings without leaving my house.
2. Why did you choose blogging over other business models? How did you choose your niche and how did you know it was the right one?
It’s crazy because I never thought I was starting a business, but almost 10 years later, that’s exactly what I have! That business supports my entire family of six! Never could I have planned such a thing, it all sort of just happened. All the right pieces fell into place after many of them shattered all over.
I chose my niche because of my kids. Anytime I would write about toys, my kids were over my shoulder telling me what was cool! Their excitement over toys was what made me know it was the right one for us!
3. What’s your personal philosophy regarding content? How do you know what your prospective customers are looking for? Where does this information come from? Do you write all content yourself or do you outsource?
I love creating content more than anything else. I love editing photos, videos and creating something from nothing. It’s in my blood. All the information comes from my head!
I know what my customers are looking for because I get all the information from my kids. Kids know what other kids want.
4. Do you have any original tips or techniques for getting traffic and getting your readers to engage with you through your blog?
Original tips? Not really. I just keep doing my thing.
5. How long did it take to start earning income from your business? Is it a full-time income (replacing a job) or a part-time income? What would you say has been the reason for your success?
It took me a couple years at first because I wasn’t really aiming at anything, I was just creating content and socializing. I didn’t really plan on building a business out of all of it but it turned out that way. It does replace a full-time job for both my husband and me.
The reason for my success is grace. What else could it be?
6. How many different revenue streams do you have? Which ones perform best?
Ads, affiliates (this is the highest currently), coaching and my own products.
7. Do you use social media to promote your online business? If yes, which platform(s)? Has it had an impact?
Yes, I like Pinterest and Facebook. Pinterest brings a lot of traffic without too much effort. Facebook is nice because I like it, it doesn’t drive as much traffic as Pinterest but I enjoy it regardless.
8. What has been your biggest challenge as an online business owner?
Getting work done when I can do anything I want. Word!
9. What would your best advice be to someone just starting out looking to make $1,000 or more each month by blogging? What would be your advice to someone who is struggling to make money online with their blog?
Start somewhere and don’t try to be perfect. Surround yourself with like-minded people who actually make money. If you’re struggling, you’re trying too hard. Relax.
10. And finally…What do you enjoy most about being an online business owner? How has it impacted you, your family, and/or your life?
I get to be home with ALL of my family. My husband used to work 14 hours days and we would never see him. We lived in a tiny two-bedroom apartment struggling to make ends meet.
NOW, we have a beautiful home, we sleep in late together, we enjoy life the way life is meant to be lived. That’s truly success!!
|My name is Lesley, I have four kids and my life is all giggles, diapers, toys and laundry. I’m a mommy blogger with a lot of toys and love in her house.
My hobbies are cooking, daydreaming on Pinterest and playing with my kids’ toys when they’re not looking.
Liked This Interview? You’ll also like:
Would YOU like to be featured in this series?
I’ve always been inspired by the success of others and in this interview series, I hope to inspire you in the same way. If you’re a blogger making at least $1,000 a month, I want to hear from you! Contact me to let me know you’re interested and we’ll talk. ?
Join the Savvy Blogger Community!
Get my blogging tips and techniques right in your inbox! I’ll give you a heads-up when I have new blog content and I share valuable content (who loves freebies?!?) you won’t find on the blog.